Friday, May 1, 2015

Sundakkai Oorugai, Turkey Berry Pickle


          Sundakkai/Turkey Berries, we had missed this when we were in the US, then one year in Chennai, we got this, but now again in Bangalore, I am not able to find them. So whenever we go to Chennai, if we can find them, we usually bring some back. This time I had so much of these ( freshly plucked ), even after giving some to my friend and doing the Kuzhambu with it, I had some left. I wanted to do a pickle with it, something similar to the pickle made with kovakkai/tindora. This is a simple recipe, once done, we can have it after 5 to 6 hours, but I felt, that it tasted even better after I left it in the refrigerator for at least 2 to 3 days, it gives some time for the sundakkai to soak in the spice powders..

Need To Have

  • Sundakkai/Turkey Berries - 2 cups
  • Red Chilly Powder - 4 teaspoons
  • Salt - 2 teaspoons
  • Lemon Juice - 5 teaspoons
  • Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon 
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Dried Red Chillies - 2, broken into pieces

Method


          Remove the short stems from the sundakkai/turkey berries, wash it well, smash it slightly, keep it immersed in water, till your done with the entire amount, otherwise it would change color.


          Dry roast 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds, powder and keep. Heat some oil, add the turkey berries and saute for about 5 to 7 minutes, remove and keep.


          Add the chilly powder, salt, mustard and fenugreek powders and the lemon juice, mix and keep.


          Heat enough oil, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering, add the red chillies and asafoetida and switch off. Let it cool for 3 to 5 minutes, then add it to the sundakkai, mix and leave it at least for 5 to 6 hours, then serve.


Note
Sundakkai doesn't have any sourness, so only after sometime, it gets soaked in the juice and spices and tastes good.
Add enough oil and salt.
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Pickle in turkeyberry? New to me...looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I learned something new. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting pickle,never had sundakai pickle before..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pickle with turkey berry? new to me.. yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  5. lip-smacking pickle!! lovely clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turkey berry...completely new to me. I first thought they were green peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow yummy pickle, love the tempting color...

    ReplyDelete
  8. lipsmacking and yummy pickle...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect for me....I love any pickle:)...Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very innovative pickle . Great post.
    Glad to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete